3452 views, 1 rating - 00:15:06
Part of video series Complex Numbers and Fibration
( download video )
Complex numbers and square roots of negative numbers are explained. Also, transforming the plane to include complex numbers is discussed.
- Who is Adrien Douady?
- What are complex numbers?
- What are imaginary numbers?
- What do complex numbers look like geometrically?
- What is the square root of -1?
- How do you add and multiply complex numbers?
- How are complex numbers like vectors?
- What does a complex stereographic projection look like?
This video shows very clearly and concisely what complex numbers are and what they mean geometrically using a number line and protractor. Complex numbers, their addition and multiplication are shown on a blackboard in a way analogous to vectors in the plane. Finally, a stereographic projection of the complex plane is shown. A truly great place to begin understanding complex numbers.