6072 views, 3 ratings - 00:06:48
Part of video series Essential Concepts: Fractions and Percents
Courtesy of Mr. Hansen of www.mrhansen.net.
( download video )
How and why you can convert mixed numbers to improper fractions.
- What is a mixed number?
- How do you convert a mixed number to an improper fraction?
- What is 2 1/4 as an improper fraction?
- How can you draw pictures to represent mixed numbers visually?
- Why does 2 1/4 = 9/4?
- How can you change 1 2/3 to an improper fraction?
- Is there an easy way to remember how to change a mixed number to an improper fraction?
- Why does 3 2/5 = 17/5?
- What is 6 1/2 as an improper fraction?
This video uses pictures to get the idea of mixed numbers across visually, and then converts these mixed numbers into improper fractions. This is a wonderful way of understanding what is going on, and is a must-see for students trying to understand why this conversion works the way it does. Three different methods are discussed, with the most commonly taught way being shown last. Numerous examples are shown and explained in excellent detail.